The Perkins-Duhon House, 401 Pine Street, C. 1893
This Queen Ann Revival was built in 1893 or 1894 by Dr. Allen J. Perkins,Jr., son of Allen Perkins of the Perkins Miller Lumber Company.
The house sits on a 120 x 150 corner lot of Pine and Bilbo Streets.
The house has had many owners and was purchased last by Otis Duhon in 1965 and was loally known as the Duhon house. The present owners, Tab and Misty Finchum, bought the house from the Duhon family in April of 2008.
The house should be viewed carefully to appreciate all of the many decorative features, such as a different design on each peidment, an unusual double bay on the west side, scallops of shingles, and an off center front door on the first level and a centered odd shaped gallery on the second.
Once the house held two different business enterprises; a taxi cab service on the first floor and a brothel on the second. The driveway entrance was on Pine and circled to exit on Bilbo. It was used to protect the identity of those who entered and then later exited.
The house was in dangerous condition when Tab Finchim bought it in April of 2008 as a flip. Work began and the idea of a flip began to fade.
Tab and Misty got married in March of 2010 after the house was finished. After 18 months of backbreaking work and help from friends and family, it was finished in late November of 2010 and a beautiful reception was held.
This is what is known as a "labor of love". Old houses can do that to you!
Update: The American Press featured this home and the story on the front page of the February 14th, 2011 newspaper. Thanks to the American Press and to reporter Jamie Gaines for the great coverage!