Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Sanborn Map: Debakey to Pithon, Griffith Coulee to Wilson

According to the 1914 Sanborn Maps (courtesy of McNeese State University Archives Department), there were only 7 houses in the 2 block area from South Ryan (Now Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive) to the North side of Pithon and from the Griffith Coulee to the opposite side of Wilson (then known as "Allen" Avenue).

It would seem that "Allen" would have been named for Allen Perkins, but his needs to be verified.  It would be interesting to find out why the name was changed....why Wilson VS Allen?

Those homes and the start at the creation of an ownership history follows. Residents and former residents are encouraged to submit information to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

1914 Sanborn Maps

DeBakey Drive (then S. Ryan)

  • No homes
  • St. Charles Academy (technical address was probably Ryan but a significant portion of the original building faced S. Ryan (DeBakey)

Four on Grove. Two on the South side and two on the North Side:

  • 101 Grove
    • 1914 Sanborn Map Courtesy of McNeese State University Archive Department Texada, 1914
    • Moses, 1924
    • Nieset, 1974
    • Winston
    • Webb
    • Rasbeary
  • 105 Grove
    • ?
    • Percy
    • Gabb
    • McCloskey
    • Stevens
  • 110 Grove
    • ?
    • Turnbull
    • Stevens
    • Bowling
    • Guidry
  • 112 Grove
    • Clooney (Landmarked in 2012). Brother to James Clooney, 101 Pithon, another Landmark House known as The James Clooney House built in 1913.

Two on Wilson, the one on the School side was moved or demolished many years ago. It is now the site of the playground for ICCS

  • ? Wilson
    • ?
    • Hurley (19??)

Only one on Pithon:

  • 101 Pithon
    • The James R Clooney House
    • Viccellio
    • Tate
    • Watson
    • Baggett
    • Carter
    • Mount
    • Draughn

1925 Sanborn Maps 

Five more homes were added to South Ryan between 1914 and 1925. Two were demolished many years ago.

  • 112 Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive
    • ?
    • Monticello
    • Hopkins
  • 120 Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive has only had two owners.
    • Plauche
    • 1925 Sanborn Map coutresy of McNeese State University ArchivesHopkins
  •  130 Dr. Michael Debakey Drive
    • ?
    • Tritico
    • Stickell
    • Ford

Also by 1925, 5 more homes could be found along Grove:

  • 106 Grove
  • 107 Grove (known as 1607)
    • ?
    • Tankel
    • Miller
    • Hopkins (1995?)
  • 109 Grove
    • ?
    • ?
    • Lobdell's (196?)
    • Hebert (2013)
  • 111 Grove
    • ?
    • ?
    • Miller
    • Coward (2009?)
    • Noble
  • 113 Grove
    • ?
    • ?
    • Coward (20??)