Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Parish Plat Book, Shell Beach Drive

This image, courtesy of CHPS Board Member Trent Gremillion, shows Shell Beach Drive West of Lake Street as well as a portion of the Calcasieu River.

Before the Port of Lake Charles was established, the Calcasieu River flowed south from Lake Charles in a series of wide oxbow bends.  Efforts to straighten and deepen the river meant cutting through bends for shortcuts.  That effort changed the nature of the lake which had been a freshwater lake edged with cypress and tupelo trees.

 

Parish Plat Book, 1938 Images courtesy of CHPS board member, Trent Gremillion