Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

District Maps & Guidelines

Lover's Lane

In 1888, “Lovers’ Retreat” was completed.  This was a long, winding bridge over Pithon Coulee that began at the foot of Front Street and Clarence and ran south and west over a dense cypress swamp.

The elevated footpath was built with supports and handrails nailed from tree to tree.  On the western end, the footpath connected with the old shell road.

Lovers Lane image courtesy of CHPS Board Member Trent Gremillion