Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

District Maps & Guidelines

Walnut Grove in 1906

The route for the Old Spanish Trail took a 90-degree left turn onto Front Street (now Lakeshore Drive), crossed the Pithon Coulee Bridge into Margaret Place (then just being developed) and skirted the lake to what was called “the Shell Beach at Walnut Grove,” where the Port of Lake Charles City Docks are now located.

 This photo was provided by CHPS Board Member, Trent Gremillion.

This 1906 photo of Walnut Grove was provided by CHPS Board Member Trent Gremillion.