Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

District Maps & Guidelines

2013 Calca Recipients

Fourth Ward Fire House

The owners of the circa 1912 Fourth Ward Fire House at 129 Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive, Dr. and Mrs. Van Snider, were commended for their renovations and improvements to that structure, a perennial preservation favorite.

The Sniders recently installed exterior doors patterned after the original doors on the building along with several other firehouse-themed improvements.

 

Lake Charles City Court

City Court Judge John Hood, Judicial Administrator Tim Leger, and City Marshal Joey Alcede accepted a commendation for the newly constructed Lake Charles City Court building.

Judge Hood reported that the design of this impressive new structure was patterned after the circa 1902 Courthouse that was lost in the 1910 fire. The new building was built on the former site of the downtown Sears Auto Center at 118 West Mill Street.

The Governor’s Mansion

Tom Shearman accepted a commendation for renovations and improvements to The Governor’s Mansion on Broad Street at Louisiana Avenue.

This former home of Louisiana Governor (1940-1944) Sam H. Jones, one of only two Governors from Lake Charles, is currently an event and music venue.

The Grove at Heritage Square

Sulphur Parks and Recreation (SPAR) was commended for The Grove at Heritage Square, a newly installed park designed by local architect E.J. Ellender adjacent to the historic Henning House site in downtown Sulphur. 

Accepting the award for SPAR were Norman Farr, SPAR Director, Jay Ellender, SPAR Board President, and Joy Abshire, SPAR Board Vice President.

Rufus Mayfield Homes

The Lake Charles Housing Authority was commended for the newly developed Rufus Mayfield Homes on Mill Street which replace much of the Booker T. Washington Courts.

Ben Taylor, Housing Authority Director, Bob Shannon, Board Member, and Chester Moses, Board Member were present to accept the award.