Walter Roland Carter House
The property upon which the Walter Roland Carter House is located was part of a parcel of 80 acres granted to Victor Touchy in 1860. Touchy used the land to plant oranges, however after a great freeze, the property was subdivided and the Touchy Addition was created. Sunnyside subdivision was later carved from the Addition in 1912.
Evalina McCormick, daughter of pioneer journalist John McCormick, married Walter Roland Carter, and used proceeds from the succession of her father to buy the land and build the house in 1914.
John W. Harrop House
The John W. Harrop House at 928 South Division is situated on property that was carved from the extensive land grant to David J. Reid by Abraham Lincoln on July 1, 1861. Much of the Charpentier Historic District was once a part of this Reid grant. The original grant was subdivided in stages between 1881 and 1913.
The Harrop family acquired lots 1, 2, and 3 (present day 821, 920, and 923 S. Division) from Marial Clements in 1896. John W. Harrop is listed as residing at “920” in 1913 but the house was listed officially as “928” in 1915.