Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo


Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

40 Years of Preservation

1010 Enterprise Blvd, The Brennen Home

1010 Enterprise BoulevardThe spacious grounds of the home at 1010 Enterprise Boulevard are part of the appeal of this imposing prairie-style Queen Anne house. Five lots of the “Watkins Addition” were purchased to provide the necessary space for this home’s extensive front and back yards. The house itself was built at the turn of the last century by the Gaunt family, early pioneers in Calcasieu education with several members serving as teachers in various school systems.

The location for the house on “Boulevard,” the eastern edge of old Lake Charles, was not by chance. Just a few blocks from here are the grounds of the first “Lake Charles High School” at Sixth Street and Boulevard, and of Central School at Kirby at Kirkman. For over a hundred years, this house saw the changes of the neighborhood, from original prairie, to the planting of live oaks and landscaping of Boulevard as an early project of the Enterprise Club (the oldest civic club in the area) by which “Enterprise Boulevard” got its name, through the street’s business and commercial phase, and now as a rescued and restored living neighborhood rich with mature plantings and tradition.


10615 Hwy 384, The Alexander/Dees Home, MOONSHADOW

10615 Hwy 384 FrontThis beautiful three story home set among magnificent oaks in Big Lake is a transplanted house. It was built around 1890 by William Ramsey and originally stood at 823 Ford Street in Lake Charles. In 1923 Mrs. T. A. (Annabel) Dees purchased the home and lived there until her death.

Mrs. Dees was the premier society hostess of the area who entertained such luminaries as General and Mrs Dwight Eisenhower, authors Frances P. Keyes and Tennessee Williams, the acting family of Barrymores and others. She taught etiquette, created a mail-order sensation with her orange-pecans, and was among the areas social and artistic elite.


4507 Young Lane, The Guilott Home

4507 Young LaneThe Guilott Home was built in 1964 from plans by noted futurist architect and engineer Gilbert Spindel. This particular circular house was Spindel’s “Geodesica” model and is one of only eight known in the United States.

The home’s current owner researched Spindel’s work elsewhere and has visited with other Spindel house owners in their homes.

The seven other documented Geodesica houses are in Norfolk, Virginia; Jacksonville and Pahokee, Florida; Boone, North Carolina; Stuttgart and Magnolia, Arkansas; and Shawnee, Oklahoma.


825 S. Division Street, The Ryder Home:The Dr. John Greene Martin House

825 S DivisionTell the operator to ring Lake Charles #1, and you would be connected to the handsome Victorian Italianate home at 825 South Division Street owned by Dr. John Greene Martin and his family. The house was built around 1900, and it has only had four owners in its roughly 115 year history. Dr. Martin was an M.D., surgeon, community leader, World War I veteran, and visionary who was instrumental in the founding of St. Patrick hospital.

Mrs. Martin, nee Miss Lydia Smith of Australia, was also trained in the medical arts, having practiced nursing to help support the growing family while Dr. Martin finished his medical training.

The Victorian Italianate exterior of the home has features of both an “Italianate Villa” and a vernacular Victorian two story home.