Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Lost Landmarks by Year

Trolley Tour Photos

 CHPS Trolley Tour-10
CHPS Trolley Tour-28
 CHPS Trolley Tour-30
 CHPS Trolley Tour-12
 CHPS Trolley Tour-25
CHPS Trolley Tour-27
CHPS Trolley Tour-18
 CHPS Trolley Tour-15

Lost Landmarks recognized in 2015

To visit Lost Landmarks recognized in 2015, a Trolley Tour was organized. The photos below were taken at the Lake Charles Transit authority the day of the tour, Saturday, September 26, 2015.

CHPS Trolley Tour-1  CHPS Trolley Tour-2   CHPS Trolley Tour-3
 CHPS Trolley Tour-4  CHPS Trolley Tour-5  CHPS Trolley Tour-6
     

Lost Railroad Stations

The Lost Landmark sign for the Missouri-Pacific Depot and other lost Train stations is on the grounds of the Safety Council Building at Clarence and Ryan.

Missouri Pacific "Iron Mountain" DepotThe marker for Lost Railroad stations ncludes the locations of the Southern Pacific, Union, and KCS depots. 

The "I.M. Depot" printing on the image to left the refers to the Iron Mountain Depot which was the popular name for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot.

 

Read more...

Louisiana Baptist Orphanage

This is one of three lost buildings that CHPS recognized as part of the annual Lost Landmarks program. The marker is located on the grounds of St. Louis Catholic High School at 7th and Bank Street.

The newspaper photograph of the orphanage is courtesy the McNeese Archives and the Maude Louisiana State Baptist OrphanageReid Scrapbooks.

The caption by Maude Reid:

"Louisiana State Baptist Orphanage in Lake Charles, built in 1900. This orphanage was sold to Mrs. J. A. Landry in 1925 who gave it to a Catholic Brotherhood for a boys school.

Read more...

Original LaGrange School on Ryan

The historic marker for this lost landmark is located near Coyote Blues Restaurant in the 3600 block of Ryan. 

Original LaGrange High School

The site for the school was donated by Mensard LaGrange. He donated an acre for the purpose of a school.

The school encompassed all grades.

In April, 1928, the Calcasieu Parish School Board announced plans to build a new set of schools at this site.

The school was completed in 1929.

Read more...

Lost Landmark Program

In 2013/2014, CHPS applied for grant funding to supplement its own funds to jumpstart the program.

The Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana Convention and Visitors Bureau, through the grants administrator of the Arts Council of Southwest Louisiana, granted CHPS an Arts/Tourism Grant to fund the project.

The purpose of the Lost Landmark program is to provide historic markers at the site of now lost landmarks with custom cast metal markers to identify the site and to inform the interested public and tourists of the role played by the now missing landmark.

Under the leadership of Chairman Adley Cormier, CHPS arranges for the research, the sign copy, the site coordination, and the promotion of the program.

Image Sources

CHPS gratefully acknowledges the McNeese Archives and the Louisiana Digital Library as the source for many of the photos in this section of the website as well as other photos throughout CalcasieuPreservation.org.

Over 5,000 images can be found within the digital library, especially in the "Historic Photographs of Southwest Louisiana" section. Many come from the Maude Reid scrapbooks that document much of life in Southwest Louisiana during the early 1900s. 

The Calcasieu Parish Public Library retains ownership of the Maude Reid Scrapbooks. The Scrapbooks are under indefinite loan to the McNeese State University Department of Archives & Special Collections.

Long time CHPS member Virginia Webb served as photographer for the Trolley Tour.